Litha, the Summer Solstice - June 21, 2017
by Fey Wilde
The Summer Solstice has many names, midsummer or Litha, but they all mean a stopping or standing still of the sun. It is the longest day of the year and the time when the sun is at its maximum elevation. This date has had spiritual significance for thousands of years as humans have been amazed by the great power of the sun. Like other religious groups, Pagans and Wiccans are in awe of the incredible strength of the sun and the divine powers that create life.
How To Make a Psychic Dream Spell Box for Litha
1. Find a box or check out Project Fey's customizable Spell Boxes and decorate it symbols of psychic power
- Add the following herbs and/or oils to your spell box
- mugwort, bay leaves and lavender
- Place a stone, crystal or object that is blue, yellow or red in the box
- Add the one or more of the following crystals to boost the spell boxes psychic power
- apatite (red)
- herkimer diamond
2. Pass the spell box thru the 4 elements
- earth = sprinkle with salt or dirt
- air = incense or use a feather to fan the air over the box
- fire = pass thru the flame of a red, orange or yellow candle
- water = sprinkle with water from a natural body of water, collected during the daytime if possible
3. Before you go to bed, repeat the lines below and place the Psychic Dreams Spell Box under your pillow
Open the door to my inner life;
Reveal the past to me.
Open the door to my inner life,
That my way may be made free.
Send me the light of your cosmic fire;
Make my path bright clear.
Give me a sign, that's no will of mine,
To show me your presence is here.
Here are other Litha Activities
- Tie a sprig of rowan, a sprig of rue, and three flowers of St. John's Wort with red thread and hang over the door.
- Make amulets (simple charms) of protection out of herbs such as rue and rowan. If you make new amulets each year, you can dispose of the old in the midsummer fire, but we like to simply recharge the old one for another year until it starts to deteriorate, then burn it.
- Create a pouch for psychic dreams (mugwort and bay leaves in a cloth of lavendar, blue, or yellow and sewn with red thread) and place under your pillow.
- Make a Solar Wheel as a terrific family project - everyone can make one for their bedroom. Wind palm or grape vine into a circle, twisting as you go. Cut two short lengths of stem to be just a bit larger than the diameter of the circle and place one across the back horizontally and the other vertically crossing in back of the horizontal one and coming forward to the front of the circle to secure both, then adorn with symbols of the elemental's (stone, feather, ashes in a pouch or a small candle, and a shell) and festoon with yellow ribbons.. Hang in a tree outside or indoors as a reminder of the God's protection.
- Make a Witch's Ladder (another fun family project) using three colored yarns (red, black, and white for the Triple Goddess) braided together to be three feet long. Add nine feathers all the same color for a specific charm, tie ends and hang up. Colors are red for vitality, blue for peace and protection, yellow for alertness and cheer, green for prosperity, brown for stability, black for wisdom, black and white for balance, patterned for clairvoyance, and iridescent for insight.
- You can burn the old Yule wreath in the Litha fire, although some will wait and burn last years Yule log in the Yule fire the next year.
- Make a rue protection pouch out of white cotton. Add two or three sprigs of rue, bits of whole grain wheat bread, a pinch of salt, and two star anise seeds and hang indoors (can do one for each bedroom).
- Tie vervain, rosemary, and hyssop with white thread and dip the tips into a bowl of spring water (you can buy bottled spring water in grocery stores) and sprinkle the water about the house to chase out negativity, or sprinkle your tools to cleanse and purify. *Gather herbs like St. John's Wort, vervain and yarrow.
- Soak thyme in olive oil, then lightly anoint your eyelids to see the fairy folk at night.
- Tie a bunch of fennel with red ribbons and hang over the door for long life and the protection of the home.
- Look for the fairy folk under an elder tree, but don't eat their food or you'll have to remain with them for seven years (which I suppose would be a lot of fun unless you have other plans!).